Sunday News

Written by Theresa Rose on June 21, 2015

Property owners, city, county and state employees are all out today cleaning up after last night’s storm. The severe thunderstorm that blew thru Southeast Iowa brought damaging winds. But so far it appears most of the damage was to trees. The Mt. Pleasant compost site is open today for anyone wanting to get rid of storm debris. The storm also caused power to flicker on and off and some were without electricity for awhile. KILJ was off the air for a period of time overnite. We are also experiencing loss of internet still today.
One person was killed and four were injured in a single vehicle Saturday afternoon. The accident occurred at about 2 pm on Hwy 34 west of Mt. Pleasant. 48 year old Sarah White Young of Sioux Falls died, 13 year old Milo White and 17 year old Autum White were taken by air to U of I hospital, 10 year old Isiah White Young and 15 year old Eva White were taken by ambulance to HCHC. All five were from Sioux Falls South Dakota and were travelling in a vehicle driven by Eva White. The driver lost control and the vehicle rolled ending up in the ditch. The Iowa State Patrol continues to investigate the accident.
Saturday morning at about 9, the state patrol investigated an accident involving a tractor on Primrose Road in Lee County. 18 year old Paige Barker of Donnellson was driving east on Primrose Road and ran into the back of a tractor pulling a wagon operated by 46 year old Brian Warson also of Donnellson. Barker was taken to Ft. Madison Hospital by private vehicle

On 6-19-15 at approximately 10 pm Des Moines County Sheriff’s deputies and Burlington Fire and Rescue responded to a single motor vehicle accident with injury on Highway 34 just west of the Beaverdale exit. Michael Holdefer, 47 years old, of Mt. Pleasant was traveling westbound on Highway 34 when he lost control of his motorcycle. Holdefer entered into the median of the highway and then fell off the motorcycle sustaining non-life threatening injuries. He was transported to Great River Medical Center by ambulance, and was later transported to Iowa City. Investigation of the incident in ongoing at this time.