Loebsack: With Critical Work Remaining, Republicans Head for the HillsWritten by Theresa Rose on July 30, 2015
Congressman Dave Loebsack released the following statement after House Republicans adjourned early for the August recess, leaving many critical issues on the table. This is the earliest Congress has adjourned for its annual month-long district work period in over a decade.
“There are so many important issues the American people have sent us to address, and once again, Republicans are closing up the House and leaving town without acting on any of them. Everything from improving our roads and bridges to ensuring our children get the education necessary to prepare them for the 21st Century economy remain untouched. It is unconscionable that Republicans are rushing Congress out of town without acting. It is time members from both sides of the aisle sit down and actually do the job the American people sent us to do.”
Among the issues that have not been dealt with are:
· Long-term highway bill,
· Export Import Bank reauthorization,
· Elementary and Secondary Education Act reauthorization (No Child Left Behind),
· Higher Education reauthorization,
· PTC/ITC tax credit extension,
· Increase RFS volume outputs,
· Sequestration/budget agreement,
· Annual appropriations,
· Comprehensive jobs package,
· Comprehensive mental health reform,
· Postal reforms,
· Campaign finance reform.