AGENDA FOR NEW LONDON CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETINGWritten by Theresa Rose on November 30, 2020
DECEMBER 1ST, 2020 – TUESDAY NIGHT – 6:00 P.M.
NEW LONDON COMMUNITY CENTER – 103 W. WASHINGTON ST.
1. CALL TO ORDER REGULAR MEETING: Mayor Kirk Miller
2. ROLL CALL: Travis Benz, Brad Helmerson, Dan Berner, Scott Campbell and January Benjamin
3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
4. INVOCATION: Kirk Miller
5. PUBLIC HEARING:
a. Citizens questions and comments on proposed purchase, sale, and development
agreement with Chad Sovern Contracting, Inc. related to Lot 6 in the Pine Street
Subdivision, which includes the potential sale of the City’s interest in real property (1)
b. Approve resolution #328 making a final determination on potential sale of interest in
real property and approving and authorizing execution of a purchase, sale, and
development agreement by and between the City of New London and Chad Sovern
Contracting, Inc. related to lot 6 in the Pine Street Subdivision (2-4)
a. Police Dept. (5-6)
b. Fire Department (Handout)
c. Public Works (7)
d. Parks & Recreation
e. Utilities (8-13)
f. Child Care (Handout)
7. OPEN FORUM:
8. CONSENT AGENDA:
a. Approve minutes of previous meetings (14-19)
b. Accept Clerk’s Financial Reports (20-22)
c. Approve Payment of Claims (Handout)
9. OLD BUSINESS:
a. Discuss the City Attorney’s comments/suggestions on amending Chapter 56 of the City
Code, Dangerous and Vicious Animals (Supplement)
b. Discuss budgeting for the purchase of new handguns, rifles and shotguns for the Police
Department for fiscal year 2022
10. NEW BUSINESS:
a. Approve reinvestment of capital improvement funds in a CD (23)
b. Discuss and take action on purchasing a new computer for the Police Department (24)
c. Discuss and take action on annual holiday potluck at noon on December 24th, 2020 and
dismissal of employees after the meal
d. Review the fiscal year ending 2020 annual financial report (25)
e. Approve going into closed session per Iowa Code 21.5(1)(j) to discuss the purchase of
particular real estate only where premature disclosure could reasonably expected to
increase the price the governmental body would have to pay for that property
a. Public Works Committee, December 16th, 2020 at 6:30 a.m., Shop at WWTP
b. Public Safety Committee, December 16th, 2020 at 6:30 p.m., Community Center
c. Regular City Council Meeting, January 5th,
NEW LONDON CITY COUNCIL – OPEN FORUM NOTICE
The Open Forum portion of the New London City Council meeting is a time where the public is allowed to speak. This is a courtesy that is extended to you. During this portion of the meeting the following guideline will be in effect:
1. Upon being recognized by the Mayor, please stand if possible, and state you name and address for the record.
2. Unless you are a scheduled, approved organization making a presentation, you will have 3 minutes to respectfully express your thoughts. Guest organizations will be under the discretion and management of the Mayor as the presiding officer.
3. Understand that no formal motions or actions will be taken on items during this time. Your concerns may be forwarded to the appropriate committee for further considerations and/or discussion.
4. All comments and discussion will remain respectful in nature to all parties.
5. Similar topics will be acknowledged, and forwarded to the appropriate department. However, repetition of topics will be limited.
6. Any deviation from these guidelines will end you allotted time and you will be asked to be seated. Failure to abide by these guidelines may lead to removal from the meeting at the order of the Mayor and possibly charges of disorderly conduct if so warranted.
7. Your involvement on agenda items will be limited to the presentation of factual material as determined by the Mayor. This the Council’s time for dealing with matters and will not include public opinions or question and answer time; this is done during Public Hearings.